Bicycle Accident Lawyers
Whether it be for sightseeing, exercise, or your sole way to get around, bicycles are becoming increasingly popular. Unfortunately, bicycle accidents are also on the rise. In fact, according to the Pedestrian and Bicycle Information Center, roughly two people lose their lives to bicycle accidents in the United States each year.
When you decide to take a trip, you deserve to be respected and safe on the road.
Whenever your bicycling rights are violated, or whenever you are injured, you can count on experienced personal injury attorneys at Warner, Sechrest & Butts to assist you.
Bicycle Accident Attorneys In Gainesville
As a bicyclist, you are entitled to the same rights and privileges of the road as everyone else. The same laws and responsibilities that apply to automobile drivers protect you. Unfortunately, many bicycle accidents occur each year because of driver negligence.
Driver Negligence & Cyclists
Driver negligence occurs when vehicle operators engage in misconduct or fail to obey traffic laws. Driver negligence poses a major threat of safety for innocent bicyclists.
- Texting or talking on the phone
- Usage of mobile devices such as iPads
- Driving under the influence of alcohol or other drugs
- Failure to yield the right-of-way
- Inability to see bikers in mirror
- Driving in lanes or opening car doors in designated pathways for bicyclist
- Driving with distractions (such as eating)
- Forcing cyclists off the road
Ways To Protect Yourself As A Bicyclist
While driver negligence is often the leading cause of bicycle accidents, there are still proactive measures that you can take to minimize danger. As a cyclist, you should:
- Wear bright clothing (especially during the night time) so that you are easily spotted on the road. Neon colors such as orange and yellow are ideal.
- Avoid highways and roads that are known for carrying heavy traffic. This places you at a higher risk of having a bicycle accident.
- Obey traffic laws and use appropriate hand signals. The road is literally and figuratively a two-way street. As a bicyclist, you also have responsibilities.
- Wear a helmet and other protective gear. If an accident does occur, protective garments can decrease the likelihood of major injuries. They serve as an armor to your body.
- Be cautious of your surroundings. You should always look carefully ahead of you and on both sides of you. Be mindful of your space.
These small preventative methods may save your life.
Personal Injury Attorneys In Gainesville, FL
The major concern that bicyclists have when they experience an accident on the road is that the accident is their fault. They believe that they will be penalized for not wearing a helmet or bright clothing. In reality, you have the right to file a lawsuit against a driver if you believe that he/she caused your accident and can provide proof. By contacting an experienced personal injury lawyer in Gainesville, FL, you can gain assistance with the overall process.
The personal injury lawyers at Warner, Sechrest & Butts can help you file a successful claim, develop compelling evidence, investigate your bicycle accident, and ultimately help you gain the benefits that you deserve.
Contact us today.