Catastrophic Construction Failures & Accidents
As residents of Gainesville, FL, and the surrounding area, our construction law attorneys are well aware of the many developments and progressions of architecture within the surrounding community. What often goes unnoticed, however, are the catastrophic failures and accidents that occur at such construction sites, often causing serious personal injuries and/or fatalities. (A personal injury lawyer may be necessary to compensate you for your suffering.) These sort of personal injuries/fatalities can be the result of construction-related defects, ranging in severity from collapsed drainage vault systems to a building collapse.
If you have experienced the disheartening effects of a catastrophic construction failure and/or accident, or if a catastrophic construction claim has been filed against you, the first thing that you should do is contact an experienced construction defect attorney.
Catastrophic Construction Failures
Construction accidents occur frequently. However, catastrophic construction accidents are much more complicated. These types of construction failures are drastic and often unexpected. The most common types of catastrophic construction failures result from the following:
- Weak structural integrity: The size, shape and/or materials used on a structure may be too weak to withstand heavy loads and weight. If the structure reaches its critical stress level (a direct result of consistent overstressing), a catastrophic failure may occur.
- Instability: Instability in construction structures often result from poor design/material choice and/or inadequate geometrical measures. The structure ultimately fails because of corrosion and exhaustion. For example, when bolt holes are too close to the material’s edge, or when corners are not shaped evenly, cracks and breakage begin to emerge and become worse overtime.
- Manufacturing errors: Improper selection of materials, inadequate sizing, improper usage of heat and other chemicals, poor workmanship and failure to follow design instructions often lead to unpredictable construction failures.
- Defective materials: Materials and equipment that have been previously damaged or are defective can significantly increase the probability of a construction failure.
- Failure to plan: Construction professionals are expected to consider and even anticipate failures happening in efforts to craft an efficient solution and other preventable methods. Events such as natural disasters and sabotage should be considered. For example, if a city is known for heavy rain patterns and humidity which may dampen and weaken structures overtime, construction workers are expected to make feasible plans to resist a catastrophic failure. This may be done through utilization of stronger materials and/or a strategic schedule employed to consistently track the progress and evolution of the structure.
These common types of structural problems often result in significant construction failures, ranging from building collapses and bridges collapses to vault drainage collapses and explosions. Catastrophic construction failures and accidents do not just present anxiety to parties involved in construction projects, but they pose a serious threat of injury, illness and even death to nearby pedestrians, workers and everyday citizens.
Hence, if you have been injured due to a catastrophic construction failure, a construction law attorney can help you file a catastrophic injury claim related to design and/or construction defects.
Catastrophic Construction Injury Claims
If you or a loved one has experienced a catastrophic injury/fatality, you may be entitled to compensation for your lost wages, medical expenses, pain and suffering. Please note that construction law is a complex field, and sometimes, catastrophic injury claims are difficult to file. Therefore, a construction law attorney is necessary. With experienced legal representation, you can expect aggressive advocacy and negotiation, understanding of legalise and numerical data, expert support and testimonies during court sessions, and compelling evidence to support your claim.
To be eligible to file a catastrophic injury claim, you must have documentation of your injury and proof of how the construction defect significantly altered your living conditions. Examples may include:
- Medical records (such as prescriptions, surgeries, diagnoses, treatment plans, ambulance and other medical transport services, CT scans and X-rays)
- Financial records (such as job scheduling, account of wages, bills)
- Reports of witnesses
It is best to file a claim within 2 years of your injury in order to receive favorable results.
Defense Against Catastrophic Failure Claims
Construction law attorneys at Warner, Sechrest & Butts, P.A. also represent professionals when catastrophic failure claims have been made against them. In most cases, catastrophic failure claims are made because of poor workmanship, professional negligence, usage of defective materials and/or a structure’s inability to serve its intended purpose. We understand that many times, catastrophic failures are completely unforeseeable and unpreventable. By relying on our experienced construction law attorneys, you can trust that you will be aggressively defended against such claims. Here’s what we can do for you:
- Preserve evidence. Our attorneys can help you preserve the evidence on a construction site, in order to demonstrate your innocence in a court of law and/or through private negotiations.
- Take measures to prevent additional damage. Our attorneys will help you ensure that steps are taken to prevent additional property damage and/or exacerbation of current failures.
- Identify the root cause of the failure/accident. Through strong investigation techniques and the utilization of expert advice and opinions, we will help you identify the root cause of the structure’s failure.
- Identify other parties who may be responsible. Because so many parties are often involved in a construction project, it is possible that a catastrophic failure resulted from the negligence of one or more of the parties involved. Our construction attorneys can help identify the nature and scope of each party’s involvement in order to determine individual responsibility.
If a catastrophic construction failure claim has been filed against you, your reputation, career, financial assets, and general well-being may be at risk. Allow our experienced construction law attorneys to represent you, advocate for you, and defend you against such claims.
Construction Law Attorneys in Gainesville, FL
At Warner, Sechrest & Butts, P.A., our experienced construction law attorneys are able to assist you in every way after a catastrophic failure and/or accident. Not only will we help you file a successful claim, but we will seek other sources of fault. For example, we have no problem filing claims against design professionals, contractors, subcontractors and material suppliers for your suffering.
Contact our experienced construction law and litigation attorneys in Gainesville, FL, today.