Taxi & Uber Accidents
In today’s evolving society, transportation services are becoming increasingly flexible and available. Transportation services such as taxis and Uber provide reliable services to students, workers and professionals seeking to reach specific destinations in a quick and safe manner. When accidents involving taxis and ride-sharing services occur however, there are steps that passengers should take to protect themselves. Personal injury lawyers in Gainesville can guide you through taxi and Uber accidents.
Taxi & Uber Accidents in Gainesville, FL
When passengers enter a taxi or uber car, they are placing their care into the hands of another driver that is likely to be a stranger. While this may be perceived as a verbal contract between drivers and passengers, there still exists duties and standards of care that drivers must meet and provide for the safety and well-being of their passengers. Florida law requires that taxi and Uber drivers, as well as the vehicles, are registered through the state or local municipality. Further, these drivers are expected to adhere to Florida traffic rules and regulations. Eating, drinking, smoking and usage of cellular devices while driving are forbidden.
Uber and taxi transportation companies require insurance coverage for drivers operating vehicles for client use, however, some insurance coverages may not be secondary to the driver’s own personal insurance. Because insurance companies must make a profit, they sometimes present challenges to drivers who have been involved in an accident. To gain a better understanding of the legal implications of taxi and uber accidents, determine who is at-fault and who will compensate for personal injuries, it is best to contact a personal injury law firm.
What to Do After a Taxi / Uber Accident
If you have been involved in an accident as a passenger in a taxi or Uber, here’s what you should do:
- Seek safety. If possible, get out of the vehicle and dial 911. There are regulations that Uber and taxi drivers must follow, such as notifying the company of the accident and the number of passengers/clients involved.
- Acquire the driver’s information.Take note of the driver’s name, the type of vehicle, the timeframe of the ride, and the general details of the accident. Also ask the driver for licensing information and an employee identification number, as well as the taxi vehicle number.
- Seek medical attention. Even if there are no visible indications of bodily injury or harm, it is best that you gain a comprehensive medical examination.
- Contact the transportation agency. Report the incident with the company’s customer service team. You will likely receive a case number and the company will investigate the accident, and you should receive updates from the transportation service.
- Contact a personal injury attorney. To protect your legal rights and ensure that you will be treated fairly and accordingly by a transportation service following an accident, you should contact an auto accident law firm. An injury attorney can help you get into contact with the transportation service and demand compensation for your suffering.
Private Transportation Safety Tips
Personal injury law is a complex field. Without the assistance of personal injury attorneys, it can be difficult to navigate the legal arena, in terms of receiving compensation for lost wages, wrongful deaths, and medical expenses. The next time you get into a taxi or Uber, consider these safety tips.
- Always look for the official logo of the company (taxi or Uber) before entering the vehicle.
- Check that the vehicle and the driver’s name matches the I.D. that is presented or the name that is provided on the applicable phone app.
- Take note of the driver’s name, the time of the pick-up, and the type of vehicle.
- Avoid accepting open beverages or food from the driver.
Personal Injury Lawyers in Gainesville, FL
At Warner, Sechrest & Butts, P.A., our personal injury attorneys understand how crucial transportation services such as Uber and taxi are to the area. From students seeking to gain safe rides to professionals hoping to reach their next destination quickly, citizens throughout Florida place their money and trust in these corporations. After an accident involving an uber or taxi, you are entitled to rights and privileges. Contact our auto accident law firm in Gainesville, FL, today for strong legal representation and support.